Jan 9, 2010

Why I don’t miss comics:



Somewhere along the line, comics got to be something stupid. Maybe it wasn’t just comics but society as a whole changed and not in a good way. To me, I see it reflected in the stories people write for comics nowadays. Somehow creating a three dimensional character got confused with creating a incredibly flawed individual rather than a hero but, I’m going off the track...

I came across the image above via one of the blogs I read, Written World by Rangell. Ragnell used to be one of the players behind When Fangirls Attack and she took exception to the image and the fact it was popularized by Rich Johnston in his column over at Bleeding Cool. A flame war ensued and since I know (and respect) both parties, I chimed in albeit anonymously.
I think you’re all missing the point here. Aside from the fact that’s it’s just a set of t**s, save the outrage. What we really should be talking about is EQUAL TIME. In this sense what we should also have is a a pair of ring laden female hands concealing a male package. What’s good for the goose? I’d be less concerned about targeting a specific gender as much as what is sexualizing comics for no good reason. Of course, I stopped reading awhile ago now but last I remembered the GL books were still part of DC’s mainstream universe and geared towards all audiences. Nice to know the emphasis is on the trenchcoat crowd though.

My biggest problem is just that the image was bit tacky more than anything else. I have long since gotten past the point where I am shocked by a pair of boobs (or a boob using a picture of boobs). I readily acknowledge as a guy we have an unbelievable fascination with boobs, it may well be something hard wired into us (men).

Still, there was the tacky aspect along with the issue I consider Green Lantern more of a mainstream property. Mainstream in the sense you would be okay with an eight or nine year old reading it so the implicit sexuality of the image seemed inappropriate. If your goal as a publisher is to grow readership (yes, as I wrote that I realized the pun in there), you have to make allowances and tone down certain aspects to make your product family friendly.

I was glad to see however, someone picked up on one of my suggestions. Namely, flipping the image so to speak and reversing the gender roles. The column and images are actually pretty funny.

3 comments:

Rich Johnston said...

It's been a constant theme of mine, the strange juxtaposition between comics content that's seen by many to be targeted at young children, with the reality that it's read mainly by adults. This was intended as just another example of that.

PJ said...

I don’t see all comics as being targeted at young children, just like I wouldn’t imagine a medium as film being geared to a specific audience. A wide array of material can be (and is) produced in the medium of comics.

However, DC specifically created the Vertigo imprint to be a vehicle for material of a more adult nature – when you start blurring those lines you’re diluting your brand (terminology I am sure you can appreciate).

DC's mainstream universe, its universe proper as you will hasn't separated out product akin to the way Marvel did with their MAX imprint. Maybe this is something DC should think about addressing some point down the road (and if they do, I want credit for the idea DAMMIT!). ;)

I digress though.

Again, I don’t have a problem with (to use friendly vernacular) titties. I like the titties! Bring on the titties I sez!

However, there is a place for everything and it saddens me to think creators or publishers can’t find it within themselves to tell good, entertaining stories without sinking to the lowest common denominator.

In this instance, it was just a LCS owner doing something to generate attention. In that regard, he was both smart and successful because many people who may not have known about his business are most certainly aware of his store now (and the old saw does go there isn’t such a thing as bad publicity).

I don’t have a dog in this hunt. I’ve met you (which you probably don’t remember), I like you and I believe over the course of time you’ve done a lot more good than bad for the industry - regardless of what others may say.

Also, in the whole argument with Ragnell you didn’t once bring out the big guns – namely, you’re a parent and I can’t think of many intelligent people who are parents wanting their kids to face things that will diminish them.

Again, I was pleased to see them take the original image and just transfer the gender roles because it gave me a good laugh and I was also happy someone picked the ball up and ran with it.

Overall, the image does reinforce a bad stereotype about comics fans though and at a moment when comics are garnering greater recognition and becoming more mainstream it’s an unfortunate choice.

Peter VINCENT said...

Sorry I can't comment on this post, I couldn't get past the picture of the boobs. LOL